Don’t worry about the wicked or envy those who do wrong.
For like grass, they soon fade away. Like spring flowers, they soon wither.
Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the Lord, and God will give you your heart’s desires.
Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust God, and God will help you. (Ps 37:1-6)
Why should I trust God? It sounds like a silly question. Most of us would automatically respond “Of course you should trust God. That’s what Christians do!” The reality though is a bit more complex. It is often hard to trust God. Life has taught us to rely only on ourselves. We tend to trust God in certain areas, but in other ways hold on to control of our lives. We do this because trusting God is scary and at times can feel costly. One of the biggest hurdles we have to trusting God is a myth that we must first be good and righteous before God will bless or provide for us. We must “earn God’s good graces” so to speak. Since deep down we know that we are not worthy it is hard to believe that God will come through when we need it most.
But over and over again we read in the Psalms that God does not hold back good or needful things from God’s people. God simply wants us to delight ourselves in God so that we can see that God does not hold out on us. God longs to bring good gifts into our lives. Sometimes we just need our hearts and minds to change perspective and open ourselves up to what God is offering us and not the earthly desire that is captivating us in the moment.
Pastor Dan’s Top 10 reasons to trust God and follow God’s desires for our life!
- God knows us better then we know ourselves.
- God is far better at making sense of our messy lies then we could ever be.
- We waste tons of time worrying over things we cannot control anyways.
- When I don’t trust God, I usually screw up and others get hurt in the process.
- God loves us far more then we could ever love ourselves.
- God will not let us down.
- When I trust God, we allow his blessings strength and peace to become predominant in our lives.
- When I trust God others benefit, not just me.
- God is more faithful than I could ever imagine.
- Even when it hurts, trusting in God is better than the alternative.